Famous Steam Locomotives

These are photos sent in by Bram, a steam train enthusiast.
Hover mouse to see more information, or click image for full details.

Go to the Trains page for a discussion of interesting features of trains in the olden days.


Princess  Elizabeth is a "Princess Royal" class locomotive with Pacific (4-6-2)  wheel arrangement and
owned by London, Midland and Scottish Railway  (LMS). There were 13 built at Crewe Works, between 
1933 and 1935 and they were used to haul the Royal Scot train between London and Glasgow.
Princess Elizabeth
Duchess  of Hamilton was built by London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in  1938 at Crewe. It's 
a Pacific (4-6-2) "Princess Coronation" Class,  which is slightly larger than the "Princess Royal" class. 
It hauled the Coronation Scot in New York in 1939 at the World's Fair.
Dutchess of Hamilton
Dutchess of Hamilton (4-6-2) in new livery after re-styling in 1958
Dutchess of Hamilton, restyled
Clun  Castle was built by Great Western Railway (GWR)in May 1950 
and was a 'Castle' class (4-6-0), being named after Clun Castle.
Clun Castle
Braunton is a "West Country" Class 4-6-2 express passenger engine built in 1946 and 
named after the North-Wwestern town it passed through. These were powerful engines, 
capable of speeds in excess of 100mph.
Braunton
Blue  Peter is an LNER Peppercorn Class A2 (4-6-2) loco built in 1948. 
It was named after the racehorse who won the 1939 Epson Derby.
Blue Peter
The "Tornado" is a new Peppercorn A1 Pacific class (4-6-2) named after the RAF Tornado aircraft. 
It's owned by the The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, which was formed in 1990 with the primary 
purpose of building a new steam engine from scratch.
Tornado
Oliver  Cromwell was built in 1951 and is one of 55 "Britannia" class (4-6-2) built at Crewe
Works (see Britannia, below). She was employed on London  to Norwich expresses.
Oliver Cromwell
No. 73082 Camelot is a preserved British Railways Standard "Black Five" Class (class 5) (4-6-0) that runs 
on the Bluebell Railway in Sussex,  England and is owned by the 73082 Camelot Locomotive Society.
Camelot
Black  Prince (92203), a class 9F loco (2-10-0) was  built in January 1959 and  worked out of Birkenhead 
hauling iron ore loads. It famously hauled  the then heaviest ore load in Britain: 2198 tons! The name 
Black Prince was given to her (him?) after retirement by the buyer, artist David Shepherd.
Black Prince
Bittern is a London and North Eastern Railway Class A4 (4-6-2) steam 
locomotive, built for the LNER in 1937 at Doncaster Works.
Bittern
Dutchess of Sutherland (Princess Coronation class 4-6-2) originally had one  chimney but was 
later fitted with two. In 2002, she hauled the Royal Train, transporting Queen Elizabeth II on a 
tour to North Wales as part of her Golden Jubilee. In 2005 she transported the Prince of Wales, 
again in the Royal Train, from Settle to Carlisle. The Prince actually controlled the train briefly 
during the trip.
Dutchess of Sutherland
The Flying Scotsman is a class A3 Pacific steam locomotive (4-6-2) built in 1923 for the London and North
Eastern Railway (LNER) at Doncaster Works. It was employed on long-distance express trains, mostly on 
the London to Edinburgh Flying Scotsman service after which she was named. She is probably the most 
famous of all steam trains, and is famous for having set two world records for steam traction: the first
steam locomotive to be officially clocked at reaching 100 miles per hour, and  the longest non-stop run 
by a steam locomotive (422 miles), in 1989.
Flying Scotsman
Big  Bertha, no.2290 (0-10-0) was built by Midland Railway in 1919 to work  as a "banker" on the very steep 
Lickey Incline in Worcestershire. A  "banker" is used to support other locos by providing extra power.
'Big Bertha'
King Edward 2 (4-6-0) was built at GWR's Swindon works in 1930, and worked around the Plymouth 
area most of her life. When it was retired in 1962, it was given one final task: It was coupled to it's  twin, 
King Edward I, and they were used to test a bridge for weight-bearing. Both locomotives survived.
King Edward 2
Earl  of Mount Edgcumbe is a steam locomotive of the GWR "Castle" Class  (4-6-0), built in March 1936. 
It was originally named Barbury Castle,  and was renamed Earl of Mount Edgcumbe in 1937.
Earl of Mount Edgecumbe
Ivatt  Class 2 (2-6-0) is a class of steam locomotive designed for light mixed  traffic. It replaced 
the old 0-6-2 and provided a longer operating  range with larger water and coal capacities.
Ivatt
Mallard is a London and North Eastern Railway Class A4 Pacific (4-6-2) steam locomotive built at 
Doncaster, England in 1938. It is the holder of the world speed record for steam locomotives.
Mallard
The Royal Scot was not a single loco, but a class of 4-6-0 express passenger 
locomotive built for London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1927.
Royal Scot
City  of Melbourne R-class (4-6-4). R-class locos were used to pull wheat  loads from Victoria's western districts. 
Often two were coupled as a "double-header", and sometimes a third "R" was used as a "banker" for the steep 
climb around Ballarat. R707 also pulled the Overlander to Adelaide for a time.
City of Melbourne
Jessie  was a 0-6-0 saddle tank built by the Hunslet Engine Co of Leeds in  1937. It spent its working life at Eastmoors Steelworks
in Cardiff. Tank locos are locos that carry  their water in one or two tanks on the loco, instead of in a separate tender. Some have 
the tanks at the side of the boiler, while others, such as Jessie carry it as a "saddle" on top of the boiler.
Jessie
The  Great Northern Railway (GNR) No. 1 class Stirling Single (4-2-2) is a class of steam locomotive 
designed for express passenger work and built  between 1870 and 1895. They have a single pair of very large driving wheels, from which they get their nickname "eight-footer".
GNR Stirling
Met Loco No 1 (0-4-4T) steam locomotive was built in 1898 for use on the Baker Street to Verney Junction service. 
The "T" in its class-type indicated its water was carried in tanks, rather  than on a trailing tender. It was the last 
locomotive constructed at the Met's Neasden Works.
Met Loco No 1
Lord of the Isles class K1 (2-6-0) was built by the North British 
Locomotive Company for the British Railways in 1949.
Lord of the Isles
The  Britannia class, or Class 7 Pacific (4-6-2), were designed by Robert Riddles for British Railways 
for mixed traffic duties. There were 55  built between 1951 and 1954
Britannia
78019  Class 2 (2-6-0) was designed around the Ivatt (see above) with a  smaller cabin, a taller chimney and other 
small changes. The 2-6-0 wheel  format is referred to as a "mogul" and was nicknamed "mickey-mouse".
BR Standard Class 2 78019
The Evening Star is a BR class 9F (2-10-0), built by British Railways in 1960, and was the last steam loco built 
by them. It was built with the intention of being preserved.
Evening Star
Butler  Henderson was a GCR class 11F, or Improved Director class (4-4-0) locomotive. It operated passenger 
trains on the preserved Great Central Railway in Leicestershire during the late 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s
Butler Henderson
 4-12-2 configuration Union Pacific 9000 series. This arrangement was
named the Union Pacific type, after the only railroad to use it.
UP-9000 (4-12-2)
Lord Nelson was the first of sixteen of the Lord Nelson class, and so held this name. 
The others were named after other famous admirals.
Lord Nelson
Picture of the AA20-1
AA20-1 (2-14-4)
City of Birmingham was a Princess Coronation class locomotive
City of Birmingham
Picture of 4-8-2 +  2-8-4 (400 class) Garratt no. 409 built in 1952 and owned by South Australian Railways. The 400 class  
locomotives served mainly on the South Australian Railways' narrow gauge Broken Hill line from 1953 to 1963.
Beyer-Garratt no. 409
Picture of Braunton before restoration
Braunton before restoration
Picture of Braunton after restoration
Braunton after restoration
Picture of 4-2-2 configuration Caledonian Railways No. 123
4-2-2 Caledonian
Picture of one of the "Blue Ridge" class Allegheny (2-6-6-6) of the Virginian Railway. 
      These were the heaviest reciprocating
steam locomotives ever built. The name refers to her job of hauling coal trains over the Allegheny Mountains.
Allegheny
A Garratt, or Beyer Garratt, is articulated into three parts. Its boiler 
      is mounted on the centre frame,  and two steam engines are mounted on  separate frames, one at each end of the boiler. This makes it possible for it to negotiate curves and lighter rails.
A Garratt
A "BigBoy" (4-8-8-4). Reportedly the largest and most magnificent steam 
 locomotives ever built, their drive wheels were 68 inches in diameter. They pulled heavy loads up Sherman Hill between Cheyenne and Laramie 
in Wyoming. Before BigBoy, a helper service was required. The 25 Big Boys were built in two groups. The 
first group, called "class 1", were built starting in 1941. The second group, "class 2" were built in 1944.
A 'Big Boy'
Built to eliminate double heading on the "Overland" 
     between Melbourne and Ararat, Victoria, only one of the four planned was ever completed, and she never travelled 
this route. Her life was spent hauling goods trains on the North East line, and occasionally ran as a passenger service between Melbourne and Albury.
An H220 class
The PRR S1 class steam locomotive ("The Big Engine") was a single experimental locomotive, the longest and heaviest rigid 
frame reciprocating steam locomotive ever built. It was the only locomotive ever built with a 6-4-4-6 wheel arrangement. 
It was a duplex locomotive, meaning that it had two pairs of cylinders, each driving two pairs of driving wheels. Unlike 
similar-looking articulated locomotive designs, the driven wheelbase of the S1 was rigid. Building was completed in 
January 1939. At 140 ft 2 1⁄2 in overall, engine and tender, the S1 was the longest reciprocating steam locomotive ever; 
it was too big for many PRR curves. No further S1 models were built. The last run for the S1 was in December 1945 and it
was scrapped in 1949.
The PRR-S1

Back to Home page of The Olden Days
Home
Link to  Contact page
Contact
Jump to top of this page
Top

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

© Phil Taylor 2013


      Active Search Results

Make a free website with Yola