H Class 220 Steam Locomotive 4-8-4 Configuration

Picture of H220, a steam locomotive from The Olden Days
H class H220


Built: Express passenger steam locomotive that ran on Victorian Railways from 1941 to 1958. Only one was built.

Description: Intended to eliminate the use of double heading A2 class locomotives on Overland services on the steep Western line to Adelaide, but due to wartime restrictions, only one locomotive was built. 4-8-4 wheel configuration.

Duties: Although it had been built to work the Western line to Ararat, a number of bridges along the route required strengthening before the H class locomotive with its 23¼ ton axle load could enter regular service on that line. The necessary work was deferred due to wartime restrictions on available resources, and H 220 was put to work on the only line able to accommodate its loading gauge and high axle load, the North-Eastern line to Albury, where it hauled express passenger services, fast goods services, troop trains, and on the odd occasion, the Spirit of Progress

Significant Events: Nicknamed "Heavy Harry", H 220 was the largest locomotive ever built in Australia and the largest non-articulated steam locomotive to run on Australian railways.

Retirement: H 220 remained in service until finally being superseded by diesel electric locomotives in the late 1950s. It was taken to the museum at North Williamstown in 1962.


Back to Home page of The Olden Days
Home
Link to  Contact page
Contact
Jump to top of this page
Top

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

© Phil Taylor 2013


      Active Search Results

Make a free website with Yola