Earl of Mount Edgecumbe, a Steam Locomotive

Picture of Earl of Mount Edgecumbe, a Castle class steam locomotive
Earl of Mount Edgecumbe


Built: Built in March 1936, Swindon Works. It was originally named Barbury Castle, and was renamed Earl of Mount Edgcumbe in September 1937.

Description: GWR "Castle" class (4-6-0) locomotive, tractive effort 31,625 lb

Duties: It frequently hauled the GWR's 'Cheltenham Flyer', which was then the fastest train in the world.

Significant Events: Re-named from "Barbury Castle" in 1937 to "Earl of Mount Edgecumbe".

Retirement: Withdrawn from service in December 1963. In 2008 a lengthy restoration was completed, and on 3 October she moved under her own steam again.


Back to Home page of The Olden Days
Home
Link to  Contact page
Contact
Jump to top of this page
Top

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

© Phil Taylor 2013


      Active Search Results

Make a free website with Yola